Monday, November 19, 2012

Pre-Thanksgiving Event

Tonight I attended an event given by "Colours" an organization in Philadelphia and yet again I met some wonderful people. The event was in honor of Trans Gender Day of Remembrance which is actually tomorrow, November 20th. Two women sang Kelly Brown and Andrea Harrington, beautifully I might add; they also had a wonderful Thanksgiving meal. I was honored to yet again get to say something about Kyra to a group of people some of which truly did know her and many that knew her, all who loved her. My daughter truly was a very special person.

Tomorrow night I go to the William Way Center in Philadelphia where Gloria will be reading the proclamation signed by Mayor Nutter officially making November 20th Trans Gender Day of Remembrance in Philadelphia; I am so proud to know that Kyra is named in the proclamation and that I will be receiving it afterwards. How could any parent not be proud?

Speaking of which, if you are the parent of a child within the LGBT community and have chosen to disconnect yourself from your child simply because they do not live a lifestyle that you agree with, I feel sorry for you. Please reconsider!!! You don't have to agree with your child's lifestyle that's not what being a parent is about, what you are suppose to do is love your child unconditionally! You don't have to be there in their bedroom, just in their life! Being part of the LGBT community is not contagious, so you can't catch anything, but if you're lucky you may catch some wonderful people that are willing to care about you regardless of the fact that you're straight!

No comments:

Post a Comment